CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  I'm a veterinarian specializing in cats and have owned cats for 35 years. I love all things feline!
74496554

My sister has a stray cat that she has had years (at least

Customer Question

My sister has a stray cat that she has had for many years (at least 12 to 15). He's very lively and loving and has adopted our family.... Yesterday morning when we left for work, he was as usual.... ready for food at 6 am. Ate, and wandered off (he's an outdoor cat). When I came home at 5:00 last night, he wasn't on the porch like he normally is... looking for food. Two hours later he came to the porch but was "wobbling".... like a human looks when they're drunk. His front paws were moving, but the back ones couldn't keep up and he kept swaying and fell over once. He's eating well. takes water, but can't seem to walk right. It's been less than 24 hours. We were hoping he might get a little better being brought inside (he's defenseless as is) . Bringing him to the vet in the morning but do you have any idea what could have caused this?
Category: Cat
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your question.

Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.

Can you see any evidence of injury? Blood or wounds, swellings, eyes not looking right? Are his claws shredded and/or bloody?

Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.

Is he moving in a circle to one side?

Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.

Does he have a recent history of ear problems or headshaking?

Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.

I'll wait to hear back from you before trying to speculate. This could be a few different things. I do think it is wise to see your vet in the AM as planned.