Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat came home injured and missing s collar last Tuesday.

Customer Question

My cat came home injured and missing his collar last Tuesday. The next day, we took him to the vet, and he was X-rayed and had some large wounds cleaned (one one his side had to be stitched shut). He seemed to be doing quite a bit better when he got home from the vet, and was walking around slowly, but dragging his tail the whole time. The following day he was still hurting, and our dog scared him, and caused him to run, screaming the entire time. Since then he seems to hurt any time he moves. He lays down and seems fine, but when he shifts, or tries to walk, he screams in pain. He is also not really able to sit. He tries to sit, but never puts his butt down. He is still dragging his tail too. The x-Rays came back negative, and the vet also said he didn't seem to have pulled his tail either. He is also on buprenex orally every 12 hours, and it doesn't seem to help more than a few hours. Help please!!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry Toonces got hurt...poor baby.

From your description and the negative xrays, it sounds like disc or vertebra injury.Or a sprained tail. That will heal with rest However an anti-inflammatory medication can speed up the process.

Ask the vet for a fentanyl patch which will supply constant pain medication and he will not need to take oral pain meds.

http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.com/use-fentanyl-patch-and-cri-proceedings?rel=canonical

Please let me know how your boy is doing.

Best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Love,

Terri