Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My 14 week old kitten has had worming powder and we've used

Customer Question

My 14 week old kitten has had worming powder and we've used advocate spot on solution on him. I noticed today small white worms at his anus. They were moving and came out four times throughout the day. I'm quite worried can you help at all. I have 4 other adult cats. I have separated the kitten at the moment till we take him to the vet. I used the advocate solution after seeing the first one today. I'm worried that this might not be effective for treating him. I'm also worried about transmission to my other cats.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Haggis and his worm issues. The worms that you are likely seeing are tape worms. Those fit your description most likely. It is of course best to have that confirmed by having him seen by your vet to check out the worms and your kitten. Unfortunately the medications you have used are not effective against tape worms. This will require a special medication form your veterinarian to treat the tape worms. This is usually a one time treatment. Tapeworms are transmitted by fleas so you will want to make sure all your pets are treated for fleas. Transmission to your other cats is not very likely if they do not have fleas but you still want to pay attention to see if any of them have signs of worms. but keeping Haggis in a different location at this time until he can be treated is best. But your vet will get the right medications for this worm. The medication you used is great for fleas and other worms, unfortunately just not tapeworms.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!