Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat has an open sore under her chin, which crusts over

Customer Question

My cat has an open sore under her chin, which crusts over with black stuff that when wet does appear to be blood(does not turn reddish color remains hard black)
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I gently clean the area the black comes off & her skin is exposed and shows no sign of healing to date (hair is gone) the area is about an 1/8" in diameter...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
meant to type above in original post that "when wet does not appear to be blood"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also...she is an indoor cat...and was also recently to vets for vaccination/boosters/ck.up ~she was fine
and she eats from a glass bowl which is cleaned reg.
diet has not changed...
the skin appears normal, no sign of lesions, etc
no oozing or redness...
she does not act sick - appetite is robust as ever
she is active and engages in play w/one of our other cats
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
rethinking my use of the word "sore" in original post, as it really is just exposed skin after cleaning away the black "stuff"
***first time cleaning the area I noticed the black stuff was attached to fur when it came off and fur has not grown back...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also the area does not seem to bother her as she lets me clean it with no problem ...she is such a sweetie as she just sits there as I gently use the witch hazel on a cotton ball & swab the area...
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry Abby has this sore.

It sounds like feline acne that got infected.

Apply raw honey to the sore. It is a marvelous healing agent:

http://winterparkhoney.ecrater.com/p/4865201/16-oz-melaleuca-honey-raw-unheated

http://oramanukahoney.com.au/animal_care.html

No witch hazel, alcohol or anything else abrasive.

You can clean it with gentle soap or baby shampoo 3 times a day. Dry thoroughly and apply the honey.

I hope she feels better very soon.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

If you need any additional information, just click reply and I will be here for you and your fur baby.. Rating will not cut off our communication. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.

Love,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Hi Laurie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Abby. How is everything going?
Terri