Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I am having a problem that I have never had before. I

Customer Question

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am having a problem that I have never had before. I usually do most of the medical care here on my farm, but this time I am stumped. I have had 2 kittens die and I am clueless as to why. They were 8 weeks old and doing well. They presented with :barn cat eyes:, so I gave them the usual car, I cleaned out their eyes carefully with warm water and gave 1 cc penicillin. They seemed to get better, then went worse again, so I cleaned out eyes daily, brought them into the house in a crate to monitor them and switched from pen to tylan 200 as an antibiotic, thinking it was just pen resistant. They seemed to rally and then stopped eating. I thought maybe a virus and provided supportive care with an iv of lactated ringers and an oxygen tent. They both passed away and now I have 3 other kittens with eyes that are starting to get junky and their mom started sneezing today. They have all been wormed and fed and watered twicw a day with kitten food.Any ideas would be appreciated. My vet wants over 200 to see all of them, and that is not possible right now.Thanks
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dorothy,

Thanks so much for requesting me. I am so sorry you lost kittens. Its heartbreaking!

Can I please have more information?

You will NOT be charged for our conversation:

Do you mean you saw the third eyelids or the eyes were tearing and had pus?

What are the temps of the kittens now showing illness?

Are they sneezing?
Do the adults have FVRCP innoculations?

How old are the sick babies?

What does everyone eat?

After your reply please give me time to read over the info and type detailed answer or if you prefer e can speak on the phone.

Thank you,

Terri