Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My female rescue cat Annie had these bump-type scabish

Customer Question

My female rescue cat Annie had these bump-type scabish feeling and looking things on her back and sides. I bathed her, dried her and when she was completely dried, I brushed her well. Didn't help. My husband bought this stuff called Essential Pet wound spray because she scratched some of these things open and they bled slightly. This spray seemed to help, but we're not spraying her with it 4 times a day as it says, she REALLY doesn't like it, but at first she didn't seem to mind. The scabish things on her body have gotten much drier, as if when a human has a scab, it gets that way as it is healing, before falling off. She has also become more reclusive, she doesn't act the way she normally does. She was a stray we took in about 9 years ago and we love her very much and are frightened. Can you help?
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been very hot and humid here when this started.
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome!

I'm so sorry Annie is uncomfortable and is worrying you.

From your description, it's possible that she has miliary dermatitis. This is usually caused by an allergic skin reaction to flea saliva. Even if she is an indoor only cat, she can still get fleas, brought in on humans' shoes and clothing. Since you mentioned it has been very hot and humid where you live, when this first started, fleas are much more active during that kind of weather. Here is more information:

MILIARY DERMATITIS

As you can see, there can be other causes of this condition, as well, such as food allergies, mites, etc., and before treating it, the underlying condition must be found and then she will be prescribed the best treatment. It would be advisable to have her seen in person by her vet for a definite diagnosis and treatment.

For the moment, to help with the itching, you can give her an antihistamine like Chlor-trimeton--1/4 of a 4mg. tablet, every 12 hours, but always consult your vet before giving any over the counter medication because s/he knows Annie's medical history, best. As you may know, one of the side effects of antihistamines is sedation. Here is more information: Chlor-trimeton

Where she has scratched to the point of opening the skin, you can apply a thin film of plain Neosporin antibiotic ointment. If she licks it, it's not harmful.

Drs Foster and Smith make an 'Itch Stop' series of topical products which you might try: CLICK HERE

You can start her on a topical monthly flea treatment like Advantage, but again, due to her age, consult her vet, first, as some cats can have adverse reactions to flea treatments. Only use one that is sold in your vet's office or the same name brand products that are now sold in pet supply stores (like Advantage, Frontline, etc.). However, do NOT ever use Hartz, Sergeant's, Zodiac or other brands that are sold in pet stores and supermarkets, as these have proven ineffective and have caused fatal reactions in cats.

I hope all will be well with Annie and please let me know how she's doing. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively, as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time, to ask for clarification or additional information.

Warmest regards,
Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sharon Ann,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Annie. How is everything going?
Cher