Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Our cat has been sick week. Started with no appetite,

Customer Question

Hi! Our cat has been sick for a week. Started with no appetite, diarrhea, vomiting last Sunday, but didn't produce any hairballs. Started out with wet vomit and then dry heaving the rest of the day. Wasn't interested in eating or drinking anything. The next day she ate a few of her catnip treats but they came back up a little while later. Called a local vet and picked up hairball treatment and IV fluids as she was becoming very dehydrated. Got some fluids into her and she seemed to have a bit of an appetite but whenever she ate or drank it all came back up a few minutes later. Wed. we took her into the vet and he kept her a couple of nights. She was a lot more perked up and very happy to be home yesterday afternoon, but she continues to vomit--so far at least 4 times (that we've found) since yesterday evening. Any suggestions?
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if the additional info I put in went through. What has been done so far: hairball remedy, IV fluids. Vet also gave lots of IV fluids (sodium chloride) plus famotidine, ampicillin and sulbactam, and pet probiotic gel. Shall we try activated charcoal? Are there any other OTC medications we could try that might settle her stomach so she can keep her food down? She didn't get into anything as far as we know, and she is strictly an indoor cat. She's a 5 year old Maine Coon and this is the first time she's ever been sick more than the occasional one-off throwing up or coughing up a hairball.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P.S. She did cough up a big hairball last night as well as the other vomiting. And her name is Sprite.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A couple more details: When the vet took Sprite's temperature it was normal. At the time she went in she was about 2 pounds below her normal weight (10 lbs. compared to her usual 12 lbs). We haven't weighed her since we returned from the vet. She seems to have an appetite but still hasn't been keeping anything down...she just threw up again a little while ago.
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry Sprite is ill. I tried to work on your question yesterday but I could not open it because it was locked for another expert you had requested.

Can you please tell me if Sprite is having normal bowel movements?

Were any xrays done with contrast like barium?

What foods are you offering her?

After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer or if you prefer we can speak on the phone.

Thank you,

Terri