Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat who was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism started ding

Customer Question

My cat who was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism started hiding under the bed for 3 days and not eating at all. So I took Midnight in to see the Vet and she was very dehydrated. So we did blood work and Midnight stayed with the Vet for two days getting hydrated via IV. The lab work came back normal and the Vet found no organ abnormalities. So I picked up midnight this morning and released her back into my bedroom where her water, food, and litter are. She dranked some water and headed back under the bed where she has been all afternoon. Still not eating food. Now what? Go back to the Vet?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Christian K. replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help. How old is she? Were any other tests other than lab work done (such as ultrasound or xrays)? Has she had any vomiting, diarrhea, etc.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No vomiting. No diarrhea. Not sure about ultrasound but Vet stated that he found no organ problems, other than the dehydration

Thank you for the information. How old is she? How long have you been treating the hyperthyroidism?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10+. Been treating the hyperthyroidism for two years

I'm unable to take phone calls right now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need some advice soon or I'll be back at the VET again

I will opt out and perhaps another vet can take your live phone call.

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry Midnight is not feeling well. The only time a cat stops eating is when she is sick or in pain. Hiding is another indication that something is bothering her.

Since her blood work was unremarkable we must look for something not organ related like a bad tooth, earache, constipation or nausea.

Perhaps her dosage of tapizole needs adjustment.

Drain the water from a can of tuna into a bowl and see if she will lap it up. If she does, offer the tuna.

Get a jar of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic. Warm the food to bring out the aroma.

Wipe her face and neck with a cool damp cloth to relieve nausea. Try to get her to lick an ice cube.

Add one quarter of a ten mg pepcid (famotidine) to a tablespoon of baby food.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

Try to feed 20 minutes later.

Please let me know if she eats and how she is doing.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

If you need any additional information, just click reply and I will be here for you and your fur baby.. Rating will not cut off our communication. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.

Love,

Terri