Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Please help me. One of my dogs takes rimadyl. He weighs 9

Customer Question

Please help me. One of my dogs takes rimadyl. He weighs 9 pounds. I was in the process of breaking it into 16ths when I got distracted and went into the other room. While I was gone, either one of the other dogs knocked part of it off of the counter OR
one of my cats got up on the counter and ate it. At that point I had broken it into 4 pieces and it is a 75 mg tablet. 37.5 mg are missing. I have no idea which cat (there are 5, though probably I can figure the 1 or 2 that might have been in the room) ate
it or if either of them did. I tried calling the ASPCA Poison Hotline but they wanted $65 before they would talk. I called the closest emergency center and they wanted $300 per cat and as a precaution they would make them vomit and keep them over night. I
don't even know if a cat ate it. It could well have been my pit and she would be fine with the 37.5 mg. The emergency hospital is an hour away and it has already been an hour now with me frantically trying to get some information to work with. I researched
have them all throw up but got conflicting info. One website even suggested that maybe nothing would happen. I'm crying at this point because I just plain don't know what to do and don't have $600 to spend on a what if. Can you please help me?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response, but your requested expert isn't online which delayed your question coming up on the list for all to answer. I would like to help if you are still interested in an opinion.

We do not prescribe Rimadyl for cats because they have trouble metabolizing this nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory.

It is used in cats in some other countries in a limited fashion. The usual dose is 2 mg per pound (4 mg/kg) subcutaneously or intravenously as a one time dose before surgery. That would be 20mgs for a normal 10 pound cat. So if your kitty is the usual 10 pound kitty she ate about a double usual dose.

Side effects seen in cats that have ingested Rimadyl include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, a decrease in appetite, possible stomach ulcers, kidney and liver damage.

Since it has been longer than 2 hours it is likely that the Rimadyl has been absorbed and it is too late to induce vomiting. Eve with a double dose though if your kitty is otherwise healthy and not on another nonsteroidal or steroid drug she may tolerate this one time dose just fine.

To help avoid stomach upset you can give her an acid reducer as a preventative. Either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach and decrease the chance of ulcers forming. These can be used for several days as they are very safe.

If she has a history of a sensitive stomach I recommend offering a bland diet of 2/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it more palatable and get additional fluids in, which will support her organs.

If things go well and she eats the bland diet and doesn't vomit feed her the bland diet for 3 to 4 days then slowly start to mix back in her regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert her back to her regular diet.

If she vomits even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a lower than normal temperature (less than 99F), has a tense painful belly, or if she refuses to eat even after the acid reducer is given she should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs, intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Good morning I just wanted to make sure that you were able to view my response and that you don't have any further questions. Please let me know how your kitty is feeling or should you have any additional questions.