nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.
60269376

Zena my nearly 3 yr old siamese tonkinese cross was

Customer Question

Zena my nearly 3 yr old siamese tonkinese cross was exhibiting signs of a stroke. Fixed dialated eyes and limp. She had been fine before this and health and active. We rushed to the vet late as the only one open and they were out of snake bite kits and in the end we decided to put her down. This was over 3 weeks ago. im so upset all the time and it might help a bit if I had some edea of the cause. They could not stop her bleeding and I could not emagine that she would eat rat sack anyway.
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, Zena was quite young and therefore a true stroke wouldn't be likely here. Instead to hear that she had neurological signs (with these pupils) and uncontrolled bleeding, our top two concerns would have been head trauma (from a car accident or blunt force trauma to the head) or toxicity (with anti-coagulants being the main worry). I appreciate you don't think she could have eaten rat bait, but do remember that often these products are made palatable to encourage the rats to eat them. So, this is a risk for some animals. Otherwise and more common in cats, we can see rat bait poisoning related to cats eating the stomach contents of the rodents they kill. (And stomach content eating is common since this is the way obligate carnivores get fiber and trace plant based nutrients) So, this would be quite a worry with Zena if head trauma or access to warfarin tablets (commonly used in people with heart conditions) wasn't possible in her case.

Overall, without an autopsy, we can only speculate on her cause of death. Still based on what you have reported, these would be our main concerns (especially if she had no sign of a snake bite) for her sudden signs and deterioration.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou very much dr B that has helped a lot.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Please take care,

Dr. B