nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.
60269376

Maybe My cat is 7 and he had a subtotal colectomy about 2

Customer Question

Maybe
My cat is 7 and he had a subtotal colectomy for megacolon about 2 years ago....
He is on a diet of wet food, purina pro plan, because it was the only thing he would eat after his surgery and the only thing he has tolerated since then. He has diarrhea most of the time and goes very regularly. I wonder if there is a better food that i can start introducing to help with his diarrhea. His quality of life has improved but he is anxious to eat all the time because I don't leave a lot of food out for him, he eat three small meal a day.
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

In situations of this nature, we tend to want to feed a "low residue" or easily digestible diet. This is because these diets will be better absorbed by the GI resulting in less material to pass as feces and reduce the diarrhea load we are seeing. In regards ***** ***** we often use Royal Canin Gastrointestinal diet, RC's Sensitivity Control, or Hill's ID. For some cats that need firming of their stool, we can also find it beneficial to add fiber (ie tinned pumpkin, Hills W/D, 0.25tsp unflavored Metamucil) to their diet. Finally, if he is very runny, you could consider trying him with daily treatment of Protexin Prokolin, Pro-pectalin, or Fast Balance. Each are OTC products that you can obtain from your vet, pet store, or even Amazon. They all will support his good GI microflora but also slow the movement of stool through his GI such that it gives his gut more time to absorb his food and therefore again pass less loose stool.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )