Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 6 year old cat is limping and holding up s right front

Customer Question

Hi, my 6 year old cat is limping and holding up his right front paw. He insists on sneaking out through the cat flap still but when inside, he keeps rubbing his face against furniture and seems unsettled. Cannot see any swelling and I have lifted him and touched the leg without him screeching.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear Frostie has a problem, hopefully this is something very minor , however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

One of the commonest things that a small animal veterinary surgeons sees in his consulting room is lame cats. There are two main causes I would initially consider, these being infections and trauma, I will go over both with you.

1. Lameness due to infection: If you have more than one cat or your cat wanders outside then cat bite abscesses are the main culprit, some lesions are obvious with puncture marks, redness and swelling of the foot or leg with perhaps pus discharging. Other abscesses are more difficult to spot as they are deep in the tissues and you may see nothing on the surface. Cats or not the most sociable of creatures and they are prone to fighting, their canine teeth are long and sharp and covered with pyogenic [pus forming] bacteria. In fact when one cat bites another cat and really sinks its teeth in you can expect an abscess to form as a matter of course. Lameness can be caused by other infections such as penetrating wounds on the pads of the feet but these are more rare . These sorts of conditions can usually easily be treated with antibiotics but some need lancing.

2. Lameness due to trauma: Cats are agile creatures and even indoor cats can have a mad half hour and outside they may run along fences or climb trees and this of course occasionally this could lead to a soft tissue injury such as a strain or sprain or a pulled muscle in the leg. Treatment here would be rest plus perhaps anti-inflammatory drugs from your vet. You should be aware that common human over the counter anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin can be very toxic to cats and should be avoided so do not be tempted to self treat if you think this may be the diagnosis.

The bot***** *****ne? : If symptoms continue for any period of time then my my advice is that you should have Frostie checked over by your vet as more often than not antibiotics are required and there is little scope for home treatment other than rest.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Frostie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the limping ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.