Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience as a veterinary practice owner working with cats. I am happy to give you practical information.
16881297

Had to put my persian cat, missy to sleep. she is 14 yrs old

Customer Question

had to put my persian cat , missy to sleep . she is 14 yrs old good health up to recently lethargic and somehow hurting under her breast bone thinking it was a sprain of some sort, vet put her on pain killers when needed, and antibiotic, and xrays shows nothing, only blood work showed high calcium than normal reading everything else good...
though back in June and July I applied Cat MD for Ticks and fleas. having a tick on her chin , don't know how she got it, not outdoor cat, after the 2nd application , few days later, she looked something was bothering her, so I gave her a nice soothing bath, helped ... her. but never applied it ever since, so afterwards few weeks later, she became more lethargic , and still hurting somewhere under her arms. breast bone when I pick her up, she stopped eating and took her to vet again on Tues, blood work showed the calcium much higher and low blood red cells, anemia. she looked very poor, stopped eating and hurting still. she was able to ur
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry for your loss!! I know this can be very hard making this decision when you love them so much.

The symptoms that your precious Missy was showing does point to a form of cancer which can be very difficult and costly to diagnose. Anemia and a high calcium can indicate a cancer lesion and when she became lethargic and anorexic, this is a very bad sign. I believe that you did the best you could for your sweet Missy by ending her pain and suffering.This would have gotten worse with time since treatments were unsuccessful for conditions that your vet could treat. This was a good decision on your part and the best for your precious Missy!!

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and your precious Missy!!

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks so much makes me feel a lot better knowing i did the right thing.

You are very welcome! It is very natural to have doubts after this devastating situation...it is hard to think clearly when faced with such a terrible thing. You did the best for your precious Missy!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks again

WE all have been there at different times and know how you feel....I am happy to give you some consolation in this terrible time.

Hi Marian,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Missy. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta