Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Took cat to the vet yesterday as she had been off her food

Customer Question

Took cat to the vet yesterday as she had been off her food for a few days. Vet gave her a milpro tablet and a loxicom injection. She had some food when she got home but a couple ofhours later vomited...and again after that. I rang the vet and he called her in again and gave her a antiemetic injection and antibiotic. She is now worse than when i first took her in. Very sleepy and miserable , hardly eating and drinking more than usual, but not toiletting. I'm very worried about her
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much for requesting me. I am sorry kitty is not feeling well.

Can you please tell me what she ate just prior to vomiting?

Is she an indoor cat?

What was her temperature at the vets?

After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She lives indoors but goes in and out as she pleases, she had some wet food which stayed down, the vomit was just fluid, temp was normal as were blood tests.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did this send.
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. It is possible she found something outside to eat that upset her tummy. Or you got a bad can of cat food. (Its happened to me).

Pick up all dry foods and any canned that contains shreds, pieces or chunks. Discard any cans with the same lot number as the old one that got her sick.

Feed her either smooth pate canned food or human baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

You can give her one quarter of a ten mg pepcid a/c (famotidine) to settle her stomach Just add it to a tablespoon of baby food.

If she is constipated she can have one to two ounces of whole milk. It is a natural laxative.

If she is dehydrated drain the water from a can of tuna and see if she will lap it up.

Warm the baby food to bring out the aroma.

Please let me know how she is doing .

I hope she feels better very soon.

Love,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

How is Kitty doing today?

Please let me know, I am concerned about her.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is a little better today thank you. She is still drinking more than usual but that is a good thing I suppose. Thank you for your suggestions last night.
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

You are more than welcome. It was my pleasure to help such a wonderful person!

I am thrilled to hear she is a little better. As long as she keeps liquids down we can rule out a blockage.

Keep offering her warm baby food chicken or turkey. That is the mildest thing for her to eat.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer so I am credited by the site. I will still be her for you at no additional charge.

Love,

Terri