Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat is 19 1/2 years old and has been deaf 5 years, and

Customer Question

Hi. My cat is 19 1/2 years old and has been deaf for about 5 years, and suddenly seems to have gone blind!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome!

I'm so sorry to hear about this new symptom of blindness for Midnight. I know how disconcerting this is for you and her.

Older cats can be more prone to this and it could have many possible causes. She could have high blood pressure and this caused a sudden bleed into the interior of her eye, or she could have experienced a trauma to her head, unbeknownst to you. Here is more information:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/health_information/blindness.cfm

Sometimes, blindness can also be caused diabetes, or certain medications, so discuss that with your vet, as well.

She really should be evaluated in person by her regular vet who can do some senior blood tests and might refer you to a veterinary ophthalmologist, if necessary.

For the moment, continue to help her find the litterbox, her food/water, her bed, etc., and don't move the location of any furniture. Blind cats can get around the house with little trouble, once they establish the location of everything and get used to it.

The fact that she has lived to this fantastic, advanced age, is due to YOU and the wonderful care she has always gotten!

I hope all will be well with Midnight and please keep me posted on how she's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,
Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Midnight. How is everything going?
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is adjusting to her new reality. She has now found her litterbox (which had to be moved from downstairs in the basement) and is finding her way around better. Her appetite is good and she does not seem unhappy.
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, and thanks so much for your positive update on Midnight!

I'm so glad to hear that she is adjusting well and is finding her litterbox, food and water on her own. It's great that her appetite is good and she doesn't seem upset or unhappy. : )

Cats are remarkable creatures, as they can adapt to situations like this, better than humans!

I'm very glad you shared this good news with me, about your furry girl, and please kindly take a moment to rate my answer positively, as that is the only way I will receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

I hope all will continue to go well with Midnight and please don't hesitate to continue to update me on her progress at any time!

Warmest regards,

Cher