Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My 8 year old indoor cat has had a scab on s nose a month or

Customer Question

My 8 year old indoor cat has had a scab on his nose for about a month or two now. I notice when he bats at it it makes him sneeze. Is it normal for a scab to last this long? I have 2 other cats which are his sisters and neither one of them are sneezing. He seems to only sneeze or sniffle when he is pawing at the scab.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome!

I'm sorry Goofy is experiencing this problem. I have just a few questions for you, to help me assist you better:

Where is the scab located on his nose? On or towards the tip of the nose, or higher up, in the middle or on the bridge of his nose?

Is he eating, drinking and eliminating as usual?

What brand of litter are you using?

When he bats at it, does he open the scab and does it bleed or ooze?

Thanks for all your additional information and please note that this is being sent as an 'info request,' not an 'answer,' so it is not necessary to rate until I send your answer.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I was hoping to hear back from you, but I can send my answer now and if you need any additional information, just click 'reply.'

First, it would be important to find the underlying cause of the scab. No, it is not normal for a scab to last this long. If Goofy had received a bite or scratch accidentally, from one of his sisters, as they were playing, he may have developed an abscess that needs to be cleaned out by the vet and treated with antibiotics, so the problem can be resolved.

If the scab is at the end of his nose, when he bats at it, he could be causing the sneezing, as dust from his litter or just plain house dust on his paw is irritating his nose. It's also possible that he's starting an upper respiratory infection (kitty cold), and that's why he's sneezing. Conversely, if something in his environment is causing his nose to itch, he could have created this sore, which scabbed over, by frequently rubbing it. Cats can be allergic to many things in their environment, including their litter, any cleansers you're using, laundry detergent, fabric softener, food ingredients, scented candles or air fresheners (plug-in, solid, spray, any type).

Because he's batting at it, this indicates that it's bothering him, so it would be advisable to have him evaluated by his vet for a definite diagnosis and treatment, if necessary.

A skin scraping (painless) and/or fine needle aspiration (FNA), may provide more diagnostic tools for the vet. Aspirating cells from the area and then analyzing them under a microscope or sending them out to a lab for testing, will tell if there are any specific cells that require treatment.

I hope all will be well with Goofy and please let me know how he's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,
Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I'm at work and got distracted.
His eating, drinking and bathroom seem normal. I use litter from Costco as I have been for years.
I will add a pic of his nose with scab so you can see.
i have had these 3 since they were a few weeks old, I was their foster mom and kept them all. When I got them they had an upper respiratory infection, and Goofy and one of the sisters have a permanently leaky eye.
I've learned through fostering and feeding ferals about L-Lysin, should I start adding that to his food?
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

That's alright; no worries if you were at work and couldn't reply immediately; believe me, I know how that is! : )

Bless you for taking in these 3 when they were so young, and giving them a loving, forever home!

I'm glad to hear that his eating, drinking and litterbox habits have been unchanged.

Thanks for the pic. As far as I can see, it doesn't just look like a scab, but also like it's been bleeding and is quite inflamed and irritated. Until you can get him to the vet, I would recommend applying a thin film of plain Neosporin to the sore and if he licks it, it won't be harmful.

Yes, L-lysine is wonderful for cats with recurring upper respiratory symptoms and typically, this can be caused by the herpes virus. If Goofy and one of his sisters have a permanently leaky eye, the L-lysine should help and it should also help with his sneezing. You can buy it in powder form in any natural foods stores or a pet supply store, and it also comes in formulations (palatable chews, oral gel, oral paste, etc.) just for cats. Please see more, here:

http://www.entirelypets.com/cat-lysine.html

I hope you found this additional information helpful and please take a moment to rate! Thank you.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Goofy. How is everything going?
Cher