Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My cat sneezes a lot and always has the sniffles how can I

Customer Question

My cat sneezes a lot and always has the sniffles how can I help her? Mucus also builds up around the corner of her eyes and around her nose.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there - I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed vet who works exclusively with dogs and cats. Congratulations on your new kitten :)

A common cause of sneezing and watery eyes in little kitties is a viral infection. The most common virus that we see in cats that causes those symptoms is the feline herpes virus. There are others, but herpes is quite common and usually our scapegoat when we are discussing a watery sneeze and watery eyes. As long as the discharge from eyes and nose is clear and watery, it's likely viral. If you're seeing green or yellow boogers, her appetite is poor or she seems unwell, then she should be seen by the vet as she may have developed a secondary infection that would require antibiotics. This is also quite common.

Some nursing care you can do at home - you can humidify her environment and use plain saline nose drops placed into her nostril if she is quite "snotty" and congested. One easy way to humidify with a kitty is to run a very hot shower, close the bathroom door and let the room get steamy. This can definitely help loosen up congestion.

L-lysine is a common nutritional supplement that you can buy over the counter or at your vet that has some activity against the herpesvirus. It's easy to give and low to no side effect, so it's always something I recommend for kitties with the sniffles. It can stall the replication of the feline herpes virus and shorten the duration of symptoms. Lysine can be found in many formulations from hard or sort treats to liquids, powders, and gels. Here is an example of a product I see at PetSmart: http://www.petsmart.com/cat/vitamins-supplements/gnc-pets-l-lysine-soft-cat-chews-zid36-12350/cat-36-catid-200049

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you!

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Artemis. How is everything going?
Doc Sara
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took her to the vet and got some eye ointment and some azithromicin
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Fantastic! I'm glad to hear it :) Are there any other questions I can help you with?

Hope she's feeling better fast!

~Dr. Sara