Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

I just came home to find that my cat had vomitted and left

Customer Question

I just came home to find that my cat had vomitted and left spots of reddish brown anal liquid all over my apartment. As I was cleaning up I looked over and she squeezed more of the liquid out onto the carpet. What is going on? Should I contact the vet? Is she just having a stomach bug? What can I do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome!

I'm sorry Charlie is not feeling well. If she's vomiting and having reddish brown anal liquid coming out, there are various possibilities. She could have an intestinal obstruction from eating something she shouldn't have and the looser stool is coming out around the blockage. She could have ingested a toxic substance. She could have pancreatitis, which causes both vomiting and diarrhea. She could have a stomach bug/intestinal infection which needs to be diagnosed and treated with the most appropriate medication.

At this point, your best next step is to contact the vet and bring her in for an in-person exam and fecal analysis. She should be seen as soon as possible (today/tonight), so you can get a diagnosis and treatment. If she is nauseated, she will be given an anti-emetic injection to help stop the vomiting, and also, she is most likely dehydrated due to the loss of fluid from the vomiting and diarrhea, so she will need IV fluids or fluids under the skin.

I hope all will be well with Charlie once she's assessed and treated by the vet and please let me know how she's doing. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.

Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to ask for any clarification or additional information.

Warmest regards,
Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just checking in with you to see how Charlie is feeling.

Were you able to have her seen by a vet for diagnosis and treatment? If so, please let me know the findings, as I'm concerned for her.

I hope the vomiting and anal leakage has stopped and she's doing much better!

Warmest regards,

Cher