Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I have a 14 year old cat that has lost a lot of weight. We

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old cat that has lost a lot of weight. We noticed that when given food it tries to eat then makes a kind of painful sound then runs away. When given small pieces of chicken (his favorite) he acts like the chicken is like full of thorns or something. Not even a slurry of caned food & water works. He walks around an around the house like he wants something but won't go near food or treats. I am very worried!!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry Chance is not feeling well.

This is an information request for which you are NOT charged:

How much weight has he lost over how long a period?

Did he get a T4 thyroid test?

Were any xrays of his teeth and jaw done?

If he having normal bowel movements?

How long is he acting this way with food?
What was he eating before he stopped?

Is he an indoor kitty?

After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer or if you prefer we can speak on the phone.

Thank you,

Terri

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is probably half the weight he normally is. The vet took blood for testing on a "senior" panel, I'm not sure what all. No x Rays were done. He is a outdoor/indoor cat so we don't see his bathroom deposits. We noticed the food phobia last week after we noticed his weight loss. He is fed once a day in the morning of canned food & dry that he can eat when he wants during the day.
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

I have seen these symptoms before, they usually indicate an issue with the teeth or mouth. He could have a fractured or abscessed tooth which causes pain when he bites down on food. That cannot be seen with the naked eye so xrays must be done.

It is also possible he swallowed a sharp item like an earring post and it sticks him when he tries to eat.

He must have xrays with contrast like barium so the item can be seen.

In the meantime pick up all dry food. Feed him only either smooth pate canned food or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

If his blood work comes with hyperthyroid

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_thyroid__signs__symptoms_and_d.html

- it can be treated with medication and a special food. It is made by hills and called Y/D. It comes in wet and dry forms:

http://www.hillspet.com/products/prescription-diet.html

BUT if not t is imperative to get the xrays done so we can ascertain what is going on inside him

Please let me know what is found and how he is doing. Just reply here and I will be here for you.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

If you need any additional information, just click reply and I will be here for you and your fur baby.. Rating will not cut off our communication. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.

Love,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tom Scheibner,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chance. How is everything going?
Terri