Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat has never had a hairball until now. He has one that

Customer Question

My cat has never had a hairball until now. He has one that won't come up. I gave him appropriate meds that gave him slight diarrhea but he's still occasionally hacking. What should I do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry Harry is having trouble with hairballs. Laxatone is designed to allow digested hair to pass through the GI tract via the stool, so the cat does not need to throw up.

If Harry is still hacking after vomiting undigested food he may have a sore throat.

Check inside his mouth for a stuck item, oral sore or bad tooth.

You can give him two drops of honey to sooth his throat.

Discontinue all dry food and feed Harry smooth pate canned food for 48 hours. The oil in the for will also move hair out via his stool. If he has diarrhea add one tablespoon of rice cereal or boiled white rice to a can of wet or baby food with no onion or garlic.

Please let me know how Harry is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

If you need any additional information, just click reply and I will be here for you and your fur baby.. Rating will not cut off our communication. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.

Love,

Terri