Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat has lost his balance after anaesthesia for hair

Customer Question

My cat has lost his balance after anaesthesia for hair clipping. Before the hair clipping my local vet informed that my cat has urinary tract disease as he was urinating blood, after giving him several antibiotics my cat was cleared from the blood urine and was back to normal, a week after i decided to take him back to the same vet and have his hair clipped. Ever since i brought him back home an hour after his grooming, he was still under anaesthesia and was unable to walk, it has been 5 days now and my cat's balance and eye contact has become very strange, Pleaaase help
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do i proceed?
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like Mister Gat has a vestibular issue from having his ears cleaned. This disturbs his equilbrium, makes hin nauseated and dizzy much like human motion sickness.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_vestibular_disease.html

The good news is it is usually not serious. It often resolves with no treatment. However, you can give him 12.5 mg of dramamine to treat the symptoms.

As far as his UTI, that can be caused by a dry food diet. Please read articles written by a feline vet:

www.catinfo.org

Changing to canned food only will often resolve the symptoms.

I see you wish to speak on the phone. It would be my pleasure to call you via additional services.
Please let me know how your baby is doing and what time to call.

Terri