Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My rescue cat Margot was diagnosed with "maybe triaditis"

Customer Question

My rescue cat Margot was diagnosed with "maybe triaditis" after an ultrasound.
She was given Prednisone for 5 days twice a day, then once a day,and now every other day. My vet prolonged the very other day dose of 5mg to another 5 days before giving her this cortisone every 2 days. I can see Margot just lethargic and not wanting to eat the days without Prednisone.
Wanted to know if I can still give her the cortisone every day, and for how long can this last. We do not know Margot's age we believe either 16 or 17. Thank you so much
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Bless you for rescuing Margot!

I am sorry, we cannot give her Prednisonne or cortesone daily because they are steroids that could harm her kidneys and heart.

If she does not want to eat she CAN safely take an appetite stimulant.

If any swelling is still present, the vet WILL likely renew the steroid prescription.

In the meantime try baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic, tuna, salmon,canned food and boiled chicken. Warm the food to bring out the aroma. Many times it will motivate her to eat

Read more here about triaditis:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_feline_cholangiohepatitis.html

Ask the vet for a few cans of A/D canned food and if you can syringe feed her small frequent meals.

Sometimes subQ fluids promote eating as well.

Please let me know how Margot is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

If you need any additional information, just click reply and I will be here for you and your fur baby.. Rating will not cut off our communication. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.

Love,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Margot. How is everything going?
Terri