Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My daughter's 18 year old cat just committed and it was

Customer Question

My daughter's 18 year old cat just committed and it was lime green. She just had to have her tail amputated because of an abscess. She is not interested in food today either.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I Am sorry to hear Jolie is not feeling well. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help I just have a few questions.

Is she on any medications if so what?

When was the tail amputation and how has she been doing before this started?

When did she eat last?

Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.

I am going to be signing off for the night so I just wanted to cover a few things for you.

It is very rare for an abscess to be so bad that it requires a tail amputation. If he is on medications such as antibiotics or pain meds then this can cause the vomiting you are seeing. Green vomit normally indicated violent vomiting as this tells use that she is pulling liquid from the intestines and not just the stomach.

Abscess themselves can make cats fairly ill.

What you could try is Pepcid AC at a dose of 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet every 12 hours to settle the stomach. Offer bland food such as boiled chicken, chicken baby food ( be sure there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients) or tuna. If she is on meds I would try to do the following.

Give the Pepcid 1st. wait 30 minutes and then give a little food. If she eats wait 20 minutes and then offer medications.

Because she is under a vets care , is a senior kitty and is not eating if she is no better in the morning I would give your vet a call and let them know what is going on.

I hope this helps and she feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that justanswer is notified that your concerns have been addressed.

Candy

Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nanette,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jolie. How is everything going?
Candy R.