Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My cat sustained an eye injury in July. took her to the vet

Customer Question

Hi. My cat sustained an eye injury in July. took her to the vet who put dye in and said it appeared to be a superficial abrasion. He said to call in ten days if she was any worse he gave me vetropolycIn I used it twice but it seemed to hurt her and she hid. It seemed to be getting better for a week But then it looked like it was turning red in the colored area. Almost like blood. But by the end of that day it appeared to resolve. It looked okay for a couple more days but then started looking bad again. She continues to keep it mostly closed. The vet originally said it may have a gray spot like a scar but it appears that the whole eye is turning bluish gray. I can barely see the color of her eye behind the haze anymore. I made an appointment with an eye vet two weeks ago but the first appt they had isn't until two weeks from now and it looks bad to me. I am afraid her eye is dying or something and she is going to lose it. I have pictures I can send.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there - I'm Dr. Sara - pictures would be absolutely fantastic if you could attach them!

Thanks :)

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached a few pictures. Tank you very much.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for the pictures, and what a handsome fella he is! Give me a moment to type up my thoughts. Thanks for your patience :)

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

I see that your Tiger is a girl - sorry I called her a fella! I actually have a cat of my own named Tiger as well who is a boy - I think my brain got mixed up :) Please forgive me!

The pictures of the pink tissue do look like corneal granulation tissue - which is something that can happen during the healing process of a corneal ulcer. Often times a nasty corneal ulcer will look uglier as it progresses through the healing stages and begins to clear out - the pink gives way to the gray color that your vet mentioned. Cats have an amazing capacity to heal - I have seen many cat eyes that I thought for sure would require removal due to the severity of the disease that actually healed great.

The current pictures are a little more difficult to sort out. I can no longer see his iris (the green part) or his pupil, which means that there's something opaque between me and them. The structures that could be turning cloudy or opaque are the cornea or the fluid just behind the cornea but in front of the iris (this space is called the anterior chamber). Unfortunately without being able to get a 3-dimensional view with a bright light, I can't tell exactly where that opacity is coming from. In the last picture it does look as though she has a bit of a watery eye with some clear discharge. I also notice that he has brown "spots" on her other green eye. This type of pigment can be normal or it could be the very early stages of something more sinister like a tumor - although it'd be rare for a cat to develop such an issue in both eyes at the exact same time.

Even though your appointment with the eye doctor isn't for a couple of weeks, there are a few things that can be done at your regular vet to make sure there's not something else that needs to be addressed in the mean time. When I see cats with any sort of eye problems I always check the fluorescein stain again (the green drops you mentioned in the beginning), and also check the pressure to rule out glaucoma. Glaucoma can develop all on its own or it could happen secondary to trauma or infection of the eye. If I have any sort of suspicion for inflammation or infection of the eye based on the exam, I also sometimes use antibiotics or anti-inflammatories (applied into the eye or given by mouth). Sometimes if I can see that the problem is urgent, I will call my local veterinary ophthalmologist and see if they can move your appointment to a sooner date or see you as an emergency.

I sure hope that this helps - please let me know if you have any other questions :)

~Dr. Sara