Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My cat has been coughing up hairballs every day last month

Customer Question

Hi Terry my cat has been coughing up hairballs every day for the last month and now I noticed he has a whooping cough I was wondering if you had some insight to what was going on very lethargic also
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that Kit cat has you worried. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help.

Coughing in cats always warrants a vet visit. When we see this in cats that go out doors we are concerned about intestinal parasites such as round worm, lung worms and heart worms. Upper respiratory infection can also cause coughing however this is more common in dogs then cats. In cats we tend to see things like eye and nasal discharge with upper respiratory infections.Another problem we see in cats are polyps in the throat and dental disease that can on occasion result in coughing.

Now it is possible that she has eaten something that has irritated the throat, however this normally resolves in a day or two and does not get worse.

I know that no one comes here to have someone say go to the vet but when coughing is present it is very important that we know for sure what the cause is and unfortunately that does require a few tests.

I would suggest giving your vet a call and try to get her in as soon as possible.

I hope this helps give you some direction. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.

Candy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much we will get Kitkat over to the vet right away.
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Please let me know what the vet says and how things are going.

If you could please take a few moments to provide a rating it would be greatly appreciated. Rating help me maintain the quality of my answers and prompts justanswer to compensate me for assisting you today.

Providing a rating does not close the question and you can return at any time for follow up and to provide updates.

Candy