Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

I have 14 year old cat who has always been very healthy. She

Customer Question

I have 14 year old cat who has always been very healthy. She is an fixed obese cat and has been for years. She doesn't seem to want to eat much. I gave her turkey breast and she ate that a little and some baby food. After eating she cried a bit. I think she may be constipated. Is there something I can do to avoid the vet, she gets traumatized whenever she visits the vet. Thank You.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome.

I'm sorry Matilda has you worried because she's not eating as usual. Older cats are more prone to develop conditions like diabetes, thyroid, liver and kidney issues and this may adversely affect her appetite. The only way to find out if there is an underlying medical problem is to have her seen in person by a vet and have a routine senior blood panel, including a thyroid test. If it is too traumatizing for her to be taken to the vet, you can have a vet come to YOU. You can find a housecall or mobile vet that can see her in her own environment, where she will feel more comfortable and less stressed. Search for a vet who will come to you, HERE

If she has not had a bowel movement for the last 24-48 hrs., you could be correct, that she is constipated. She may have a large hairball which combined with some hard, dry stool and will not move out on it's own. You can treat this at home by doing ONE of the following:

--Give her a hairball gel/laxative, such as Laxatone or Petromalt which are brand names, but every pet supply store should carry them. Follow directions on the product, but I usually recommend giving 1-2 inches, two to three times a day. These products may not be effective alone, but you can also give 1 tBS of plain, canned pumpkin (NOT pie filling) mixed with a small amount of canned food, and in combination, this may work.

--You can give over the counter Miralax (for humans) at a dose of 1/8th to 1/4 tsp. once a day, until you see some soft stools.

--As a last resort, a Pediatric glycerin suppository can be given; here is more information:

http://pedia-lax.com/products/liquid-glycerin-suppositories

Read the product label carefully and make sure you only use ones with glycerin, as the ones with phosphorus are toxic to cats.

Try to get her to drink more and this will help. Also, wet food is healthier and provides more moisture. Here is a great series of articles written by a feline vet, about the best way to feed our cats:

http://www.catinfo.org/

I hope all will be well with your Matilda!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively, as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time, to ask for clarification or additional information.

Warmest regards,
Cher