Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

I stepped on my 5 month old kittens paw, it is very swelled.

Customer Question

I stepped on my 5 month old kittens paw, it is very swelled . I had not noticed it until now. His paw pad is dark purple and about twice the normal size . Will he be alright until morning?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Hi there.

Sorry to hear about the incident, poor little one...

The swelling and color change likely mean there are fractures so something besides pain medication may need to be done when Bobcat is evaluated tomorrow. I think he'll be ok till tomorrow, painful, but ok. There is nothing you can give him in terms of pain medication (there is no safe/effective human or dog pain medication that you can give to cats). If he lets you, place a small ice pack on his paw for a few minutes, you can use a bag of frozen veggies or a flexible gel ice pack; you can repeat the cold packing every hour or so but you don't have to do it through the night. Keep him in a small restricted space, such as a carrier/kennel over night, so that he doesn't move around, as much as possible, and take him in to see your vet in the morning..

Hope this helps; hope Bobcat feels better soon!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for helping me, bobcat seems to be in a lot of pain. Hopefully the iced peas will help him. Peace to you.o
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Good luck!

Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if any questions come up and please be sure to rate my answer if you found it helpful!