Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Shes biting all the time, but I see no fleas. I treated her

Customer Question

shes biting all the time, but I see no fleas. I treated her w/Advantage last week, and shes still biting. She has had Ataxia before.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your question about Binky.
Is she only biting or scratching, as well?
Is she doing this on certain areas of her body? If so, where?
Does she spend any time outside?
What kind (brand) of food does she eat? Is it dry or canned or both?
Thanks for all your additional information.
Warmest wishes,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
From your description, it's possible that Binky has developed feline psychogenic alopecia, an obsessive-compulsive disorder in which a cat will bite at certain parts of her body until there is no fur left and/or she develops sores. This can be caused by stress, boredom, allergies or have no known cause at all (this is called 'idiopathic'). Here is more information:
http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/psychogenic-alopecia-in-cats/
Even though you see no fleas, she could have been bitten by just one flea that is long gone, and has an allergy to flea saliva (flea allergic dermatitis), which is making her itchy and causing the biting at herself. However, fleas are not the only external parasites that can cause itching; various types of mites can also be very itchy and most times you will not see them because they are microscopic and burrow under the skin.
Food and environmental allergies are also possible, especially if her current food contains corn, soy, wheat, gluten, dairy products, carageenan, artificial flavors, colors and/or preservatives, as these are common allergens for cats.
If she goes outside or even if she's indoor-only, she could be contacting something like a plant, flowers, a blanket (or other bedding or household item) washed in laundry detergent, fabric softener, etc., to which she is sensitive.
As you can see, there are many possibilities for this behavior, so I'm very glad you're having her seen by the vet tomorrow and I hope the source of her problem is diagnosed and she's treated so she's feeling more comfortable.
I hope all will be well with Binky and please let me know how she's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.
Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to keep in touch with me or ask for any clarification or additional information.
Warmest regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi, again.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Binky, because I am concerned about her. How is everything going? What did the vet tell you?
I hope you found my answer helpful and will provide a positive rating (any smiling face or 5 stars, whichever options you are given). If you need any additional information, just click "Reply" and I will answer as soon as possible.
Please try to update me on her condition. Thank you very much!
Warmest regards,
Cher