Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

We have two cats. A Siamese and a Bengal. They Bengal is one

Customer Question

Hi...we have two cats. A Siamese and a Bengal. They Bengal is one year younger than the Siamese at 16 months. She is very active and always wants to play. Though the cats get along generally , the Bengal is always play fighting and the Siamese cannot seem to relax due to this. He is always jumpy and on the lookout for the next attack and seems to be very stressed in this situation. But when we separate them so he can catch a break they normally sit on opposite sides of the door and whine for each other until we allow them to congregate again. What can we do to ease the Siamese's stress level. We have also considered a third cat to allow him to catch a break so he is not the center of the Bengals attention. Please lt us know your thoughts on this matter...thanks
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
How long have the cats been together?
Please describe what they do when they play fight?
Is the Siamese a nervous kitty in any other way or just when the Bengal bugs him?
What are their names?
After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.
Thanks,
Terri
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cats have been together for just over a year. They chase each other around the house a lot. The Bengal (Arusi) generally is the chaser but 25-35% of the time the Siamese (Ryu) will be the chaser. They do not hiss at each other and their tails do not puff up normally. When they stop running they will wrestle a bit but it doesn't seem to aggressive. The Bengal constantly stalks and pounces and I think this is what is causing Ryu so much stress. He can't catch a break when he is relaxing , he is always on guard.They groom each other and sleep with each other quite often. We have 2 litter boxes and 2 food dishes and they share these equally with no problems. A lot of times the grooming leads to small spats. Sometimes Ryu will nip at the Arusi as well when they are not "playing" but its not very hard. Just small bites near her paws, ears, etc.. Ryu never used to be a nervous cat but that has developed in him over the last few months. He jumps at the smallest sound and its difficult for him to have any peace it seems.
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. I know you are upset by the cats interaction but actually the have a pretty normal feline relationship
Arusi is the leader, Ryu is the follower. The problem is a Bengal is MUCH more energetic than a Siamese. So the high energy level is what is making Ryu nervous.HE likes Arushi and WANTS to play with her but she is just too much for him.
The best way to remedy this situation is for you to use a feather wand or laser pointer to play with her twice a day to tire her out a bit. That way she will be calmer when she plays with him.Two 20 minute sessions should make her worn out enough to pant.
There is also a wheel that was designed especially for Bengals due to their high energy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mY8Yechvg8
You can even make one if the prices are too high:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Y3lNRp8cs
Do not separate the cats because THAT makes them nervous. They want to be together. Putting them apart is stressful to both of them.
If you feel Ryu is nervous get a feliway plug in. It will calm both cats down:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8906
Please let me know how things go. Just press reply and I will be here for you.
Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!
If you need any additional information, just click reply and I will be here for you and your fur baby.. Rating will not cut off our communication. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.
Love,
Terri
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for your help!!
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
You are more than welcome. It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person!
Your fur kids are VERY lucky to have YOU!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer so I am credited by the site. I will still be here for you at no additional charge.
Love,
Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Terri