Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

We have an outdoor stray cat who gave birth 2 days ago. We

Customer Question

We have an outdoor stray cat who gave birth 2 days ago. We have not watched her constantly but have not seen her get up to potty at any point. She hasn't seemed to leave the kittens at all since they were born. She feels somewhat hot, but we are not sure if this is due to nursing and having constant contact with the kittens (also temps outside are a bit warmer) or if there is an issue we should worry about.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry you are worried about Bubbles.
Have you seen her eat and nurse the babies?
after your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer Or we can speak on the phone if you prefer.
Terri
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is definitely eating - we have provided her with wet & dry food. The wet food is what she has a preference for currently. The babies are nursing. There are 5 total and she seems extremely attentive with them. 2 babies were not born alive. She had 7 total and we are fairly certain this is her first litter as she is a young cat.
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for your very helpful reply!
I am sorry two babies did not survive.
Bless you for taking such great care of the fur family!
As long as mommy is eating and nursing and the babies are happy and not crying, mom is fine
It is normal fr her not to want to leave her babies to potty for 2 - 3 days. This is going to sound disgusting but she eats all the waste from them and her during this time.It is instinctive because in the wild predators could find her and the kittens by smelling their pee and poop.
I would provide food and plenty of water and shade so she does not become dehydrated or over heated.
I would not worry unless she stops eating or begins to ignore her babies.
Please let me know how everyone is doing.Just press reply and I will be here for you.
Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!
If you need any additional information, just click reply and I will be here for you and your fur baby.. Rating will not cut off our communication. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.
Love,
Terri
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for the assistance. We just went out to check and she was finally out of the nest and taking a moment to herself. She was close by so she could hear if they cried for her!
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
You are more than welcome. It was my pleasure to help such a wonderful person!
She probably feels safe because YOU are nearby and she knows you will watch over her babies.
If possible, put a towel or a cloth under the babies. NOT newspaper barbecue the print will come off on their fur. Change it everyday as they will soil it.
Please be so kind as to rate my answer so I am credited by the site. Rating will not close our conversation. I will still be here for you at no additional charge.
Love,
Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
I am just checking to see how the fur family is doing.
Please let me know.
Love,
Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Hi Heather,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bubble. How is everything going?
Terri