eclimber
eclimber, Veterinarian
Experience:  veterinarian and long time cat owner
24704774

My 13 yr old female cat just started ding last Saturday. She

Customer Question

my 13 yr old female cat just started hiding last Saturday. She cries at the thought of moving her. I've taken her to the vet and they examined her finding nothing from that. To get out cheap, and after weighing the options of trying a 20.00 bottle of antibiotic or 160.00 blood work, I went with the antibiotic. This was started Tuesday. She eats if I put it infront of her. And will teetee if I place her in the liter box. This morning she was pooping around the house not knowing what was going on. Her stool is loose because I started giving her wet cat food.
Help--- I'll take her to get the blood work if you do not have any other suggestions.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this cat is an indoor cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no visible blood in stool or urine. she doesn't cry when urinating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nevermind on phone call. will wait on response here and via emailthank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
back paws not blue or cold
Expert:  eclimber replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine
Because of her age, a couple more common conditions come to mind.
The first would be kidney (renal) insufficiency. Sometimes this is referred to as renal failure, but the kidneys are still actually functioning, just not as they should be or once were. This can create nausea and thus unwillingness to eat. Uremic toxins build up in the blood and can actually create ulcers in the digestive tract in more severe cases. Vomiting often occurs, but if the uremia is not real severe this may not be a significant sign.
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/kidneydisease.cfm?gclid=CLvptdeZp8cCFUuTfgod7NgJ9A
Infection can contribute to kidney disease, but most often it is degenerative ("age related") in nature.
The other problem that comes to mind in older cats is hyperthyroidism. The cat's metabolism is sped way up, appetite can either decrease (most often) or sometimes even increase. The blood pressure becomes elevated, great strain is placed on the heart as well as other organs (especially the kidneys) so it can be a double-triple whammy.
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/hospital/services/Companion/Internal/conditions/felinehyperthyroidism.cfm
In either of the above cases, blood work can rule in/out these problems, as well as screen other organs (the liver, for example) and check electrolytes, blood sugar (cats do become diabetic).
Sure wish I could advise you of a feel-better treatment, and while I think your first step was perfectly reasonable, sounds like it is time to dig deeper. Let me know if I may help you further with additional information.
Kindly,
Dr. Elaine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u. I will take her first thing in the AM. I think I've waited long enough.
This is a great site
Expert:  eclimber replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure, and thank you as well.
Dr. Elaine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Elaine,
When taking Jesse to the vet what test should I ask for to not waste money knowing the following symptoms?The only difference is she's hiding and when she goes to get up to move she meows loud. She's not meowing as she walks. Just to be moved.
She turns her nose up at the usual dry food, but gobbles the wet. No blood that I can see in urine, but no bowel movement either.
Stopped drinking water. Continues to clean herself.
Again what test should I ask for to get the most bang for the buck.
Thanks so much.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In reading your first response, I believe I understand you to say blood work would be the best test.
Expert:  eclimber replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, sorry for the delay, I just returned home.
A blood test would include a CBC (complete blood count), blood chemistries (which include liver enzymes, BUN, creatinine, electrolytes, blood sugar, and a free T4 (thyroid level).
Kindly,
Dr. Elaine
Expert:  eclimber replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tina,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jesse. How is everything going?
eclimber
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry for my delayed answer. 250.00 later Jesse is fine. Blood work came back fine and she's actually a healthy cat !!I have to remind myself with her, she will sometimes just start acting weird. So instead of giving her a couple of days I need to give her a week to see if she starts coming around.Thanks for the follow-up,Tina