Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

I have been playing with one month old kittens who do not

Customer Question

I have been playing with one month old kittens who do not have their vaccinations at my friends house. Will I make my cat who lives in my house sick?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome!
Thank you very much for requesting me.
One month old kittens are not yet ready for their vaccinations; they usually begin the vaccination regimen at 2 months of age. If the kittens have only been in the house (not outside) and the mom cat is nursing/taking care of them well and she doesn't show any signs of illness, they should be fine.
If Shelby was vaccinated as a kitten and is up to date with her shots, there should be nothing to worry about. Even if she was vaccinated at an earlier age and is not up to date on her boosters at this time, she should retain some immunity. If you're practicing good hand washing before touching Shelby when you come home after playing with the kittens, that's great! Also, make sure to change your clothing when you get home, after playing with the kittens and before handling Shelby, so nothing can be transmitted from the kittens.
It might also be a good idea to wear a smock or apron or old shirt when you play with the kittens and then remove it and leave it at your friend's house and not bring it home.
I think Shelby will be fine!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.
Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to keep in touch with me or ask for any clarification or additional information.
Warmest regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Shelby. How is everything going?
Cher