Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Terri. Baby Minnie is doing wonderful. :) My question is

Customer Question

Hey Terri. Baby Minnie is doing wonderful. :) My question is about my other rescue baby, Mia. About a year ago our cat Molly had a baby (her first). Unfortunately the baby died within minutes. Our neighbors cat had also had 3 kittens but she died as well.
Two of the babies didn't survive but baby Mia did well being bottle fed. At 3 weeks she stopped eating and our neighbor who had known about Molly asked if maybe we could try letting their baby nurse. Molly and Mia accepted each other immediately. Long story
short they are still together. Mia has never been very affectionate but will occasionally let us love on her. For the last 2 days Mia has begun hissing and running from us. She wont stay in the same room with us either. Tonight, as I do every Monday night
I began brushing her. She is a long hair and takes lots of grooming. She started growling and slapping at me. She wont let me near her and won't even let Molly near her. She is being aggressive with all of us and I'm afraid to let Baby Minnie (6-8 week rescue
kitten) near her. Mia mother was a feral barn cat and was very mean. Is it possible that Mia is actually becoming feral? I hate to rehome her but I won't live in fear in my own home. She has begun slapping at Molly on occasionally too. Any tips or suggestions?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
What a gorgeous kitty! No, I do not think Mia is becoming feral. That just does not happen even if her mother was wild. Her behavior is more symptomatic of a painful or hormonal issue. Something may be hurting her. Is she spayed or could she be in heat?
Feel all over her body and look in her mouth for any abnormalities.
Is she eating and eliminating normally?
As far as slapping Molly, that is merely a territorial struggle for power.
Please reply so we can discuss this further.
Love,
Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked Mia over to see if anything is hurting her?
Could she be in heat?
Is she still acting aggressive?