Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

New Kitten viral testing virus. In the USA they test with a

Customer Question

New Kitten viral testing for corona virus. In the USA they test for corona with a blood test. In Europe they test a stool sample. Is one more accurate than the other to determine if a kitten is carrying the /exposed to the virus and capable of spreading it to non infected cats.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry you are worried. Actually, most cats carry corona virus harmlessly so testing so not going to uncover the tendency to develop FIP.Plus there is no accurate test for FIP in a live cat.
Please read article:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=PRINT&A=681
To answer your question, the blood test is more reliable that the stool test.
Please let me know if you still have questions about this.
I hope your kitten is found to be perfectly healthy.
Love,
Terri
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My cat was negative, it is a new cat I am considering from Europe. They test with the stool. I fear it may not be accurate.

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I understand your concern BUT if the stool is negative for corona you can trust the results.Since most cats do carry coronavirus harmlessly it will show up in stool if the cat is positive.

Please let me know if you wish to discuss this further.

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Terri
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

wont it be negative in the stool if the cat is not CURRENTLY shedding? Or are you saying if a cat has been exposed it will STILL be in stool.

As blood would show antibodies?

Don't want to risk exposing other negative (by blood) cats

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
if the cat was exposed corona would still show up in her stool.BUT keep in mind most carry corona harmlessly so you may reject a healthy cat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

but if you want a corona free home....

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I completely understand how you feel. Although many cats carry corona harmlessly there is always a chance a positive cat CAN develop FIP. So, I agree, it is not worth taking a chance to endanger the cats you already have, that are negative. If a cat is positive it WILL show up both in blood and stool So if a cat tests negative via a stool test, you can trust the cat is negative.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The European test came back-stool PCR and it was less tham 1:100. That was only number. On our US Antech tests we get 2 readings a less than 1:400, less than 1:1600 what is the difference between the two tests?