Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My 13 month old cat Rascal looked fatter when I came home

Customer Question

My 13 month old cat Rascal looked fatter when I came home from a 10 day trip (I had 2 cat sitters checking in on him/feeding him morning and night). Then I noticed that he was more subdued than normal and sitting in a meatloaf position that he never sits in. As his behaviour didn't improve and his belly got bigger, I took him to the vet, who suspected FIP. She did an x-ray and saw a lot of fluid in his abdomen. She drew fluid from his belly and it was straw coloured. She sent it off for the PCR test but it came back inconclusive (not enough viral particles to judge). Rascal continued to eat and go to the bathroom and walk around a bit but his abdomen is now very large so I took him to another vet to get a second opinion. She withdrew fluid and it was light red and viscous. She also took a blood sample and will be giving me the results of that tomorrow. I read that effusive FIP fluid is never red/bloody - is that true? If so, what could be wrong with Rascal?
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Was the fluid just pinkish or tinted with a bit of red or was it obviously red?
Was it clear or cloudy/opaque?
Has he been having normal stool and urination?
Any history of heart issues?