eclimber
eclimber, Veterinarian
Experience:  veterinarian and long time cat owner
24704774

Can I give clonopin to my aging 19 year cat who has cancer?

Customer Question

Can I give clonopin to my aging 19 year cat who has cancer? I want to keep her calm and not euthenize here. Wht would be be dose doe a small adult cat? She is bleeding from her vagina.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At her vaginal opening there is something bulging out that looks like a muscle or something???And it is red with blood around it. Last night she only spotted diluted blood but this morning I found some bright red blood on the rug. She has never been to the vet in 19 years except to get spayed so I don't know what it is. She has never been able to be captured to take to the vet and I don't want to traumatize her now. What can be given to her to stop the bleeding or kill pain? I have clonopin.
Expert:  eclimber replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine
Clonopin is a benzodiazepine drug that is used sometimes in cats for anxiety. It is an anti seizure/anti-anxiety drug.Use in cats is legal but termed "off label" use when prescribed to a cat by a veterinarian. It is not effective for pain specifically, but has been used to treat "hyperesthesia syndrome" in cats--thought to be a condition originating within the nervous system (which is why a valium-like drug may help). Often the drug will make cats groggy and sometimes increase the appetite.
I have found a link for you re: dosages here:
http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/clonazepam-klonopin
You may have to enter the address manually--I apologize for this.
You state she has cancer, although I am uncertain as to what type or how you know based on your info included in the question. I assume you are referring to the bleeding structure protruding from her vaginal area.
Yunan Baiyao is a Chinese herb that has been used to control bleeding in humans for centuries, and anecdotally has been shown to have some efficacy in dogs and cats. You can purchase capsule of the powder and use 1/2 the capsule sprinkled on her food. See the following link:
https://pathwithpaws.com/blog/2011/06/11/a-magic-vial-of-yunnan-baiyao/
Aspirin (1 baby aspirin every 72 hours) is the only reasonably safe over-the -counter pain relief medicine available for cats, however, I would caution against this due to its ability to increase bleeding.
It is possible that by giving her the clonazepam (Klonopin) to her she will be easier to transport to a veterinarian where more definitive diagnosis and treatment (definitive or palliative) may be given. Good luck to you.
Kindly,
Dr. Elaine