Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat is 15 years old and can no longer see or hear. Over

Customer Question

My cat is 15 years old and can no longer see or hear. Over the last 2 weeks she has started peeing and pooping outside the litter box. This was never an issue before- I need to know when I should consider putting her down. She is eating and drinks water like she is a camel. I just need to know how to get her back on track as I can't have her messing all over the place. Help!!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
I am so sorry Abby is not well.
Since she is deaf and blind she most likely becomes very upset and disoriented.
She may also have a bit of feline dementia:
http://www.animalfriends.org.uk/guide/feline-senile-dementia-signs-to-look-out-for-how-to-help/
She may have a urinary tract infection. It can be cured with antibiotics:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/urinary_tract_infection.html
In the meantime give her 3 drops of cranberry juice every day to lower the PH of her urine and stop the burning sensation.
I know you love her and want to do what is best for her.You have give her 15 wonderful years of love and devotion. Bless YOU!
I hope the antibiotics can get her back on track.
Please let me know how she is doing. Just press reply and I will be here for you.
Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!
If you need any additional information, just click reply and I will be here for you and your fur baby.. Rating will not cut off our communication. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.
Love,
Terri
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your praise- in the mean time how do I know if she is in pain or needs attention? I can't monitor her every move and I am not happy with poop n pee all over the place. How will I know when she has lived out her life? I have another rescue cat and he is very jealous of her - I don't want him to start with bad bathroom habits because of her sudden change - also will it be ok for the cranberry juice to be in the common water bowl - it won't hurt the other furry friend?
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
It is my pleasure to help such wonderful person!
Her appetite is the best barometer of how she is feeling.A cat that is in pain usually stops eating first thing.
However, you have thought of her feelings for 15 years. You should not feel guilty if you cannot tolerate soiling out of box. Most people would not have put up with it this long. So think of yourself now and your other kitty. It IS possible he will smell what she has done and try to mark over her, especially if he is jealous of her..
The cranberry juice is safe for ether cat to drink.
Whatever you decide to do will be the right decision.......
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Abby. How is everything going?
Terri