Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat is getting extremly ill and we 't know what to do..

Customer Question

My cat is getting extremly ill and we don't know what to do.. she doesn't pee or poop in the litter box she does it all around the floor.. she is loosing hair on the tip of her nose and she is ALWAYS hungry.. i can't believe how hungry she is.. we feed her 1/2 a small can of wet food 4 times a day and she constantly has dry food but she is still constantly hungry.. recently i realized that her stomach keeps growling.. not a hunger growl but more of a painful growl. she has lost plenty of weight as well and we don't know what to do :(
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for requesting me. I am so sorry Milly is so ill.
Is she diabetic?
If so, does she take insulin?
How long is she showing these symptoms?
Indoor kitty?
After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.
Thanks,
Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping to hear right back from you so we could talk about Milly.
If she is not diabetic she may be hyperthyroid as the symptoms are excessive appetite, weight loss, poor coat and potty issues.
The reason is the excess thyroid hormone in her blood stream burns up all her calories making her feel like she is starving.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_thyroid__signs__symptoms_and_d.html
If she has this ailment it can be treated with medication and a special food. It is made by hills and called Y/D. It comes in wet and dry forms:
http://www.hillspet.com/products/prescription-diet.html
Of course, if she is diabetic that may be the cause of her trouble.
The reason her tummy growls is acid reflux. leave dry food in an auto feeder so he stomach is not empty.
You can give her one quarter of a ten mg pepcid a/c (famotidine) every 12 hours, I usually add it to a tablespoon of baby food chicken with no onion or garlic.
If you feed her canned food the oil content will improve her coat.
www.catinfo.org
Here is a list of natural foods with no additives:
http://www.petco.com/N_23_92_4294958166/Cat-Food-On-Sale.aspx
Once she feels better she should use her litter box again.
Please let me know if you wish to discuss anything further and I will be here for you.
Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!
If you need any additional information, just click reply and I will be here for you and your fur baby.. Rating will not cut off our communication. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.
Love,
Terri