Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My 6-yr-old cat is very lethargic today. He sometimes looks

Customer Question

My 6-yr-old cat is very lethargic today. He sometimes looks at me with his mouth open, but mostly he is sleeping. Sometimes, it sounds like he is slightly congested. He has had trouble with fur balls but as we usually do in the summer, we have had him shaved a couple of weeks ago. (He absolutely loves being shaved.) Any ideas?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer!
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you and your kitty today.
I'm sorry he's having these problems.
If he sounds slightly congested, he may be starting a 'kitty cold' or upper respiratory infection. If he's mouth breathing sometimes, his nose may be stuffy. For the moment, running a humidifier in the rooms he spends the most time in, will help with congestion and his stuffy nose. If he's lethargic and wanting to sleep most of the time, it may be because he has an infection in his system and it's making him feel tired and weak. Here is additional information:
http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/cat-health/cat-diseases-conditions-a-z/feline-upper-respiratory-infection
Having him shaved for the summer was an excellent idea and you're so lucky that he loves to be shaved! He's still ingesting fur upon self-grooming, but of course, much less, than when he has his full coat.
If he's eating, drinking and eliminating as usual, that's great; however, if his symptoms continue into tomorrow, it would be advisable to have him seen by the vet, to get a definite diagnosis after a hands-on examination. The vet will also listen to his lungs and heart to make sure no abnormal findings are discovered. If he has a URI, this is viral, but some vets will prescribe antibiotics to prevent secondary bacterial infections. It usually runs it's course in about 7-10 days.
I hope all will be well with your furry boy and please let me know how he's doing? Thanks!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.
Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to keep in touch with me or ask for any clarification or additional information.
Warmest regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Cher