Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My elderly cat started to have a spray of blood from s anus

Customer Question

hello dr.
My elderly cat started to have a spray of blood from his anus area the last 6 months.At first at the same time he stopped eating and drinking. The Vet put him on a round of steroids and he had a very low platelet count. The dr. recommended he go on a low protein diet and said the had a problem that is mostly seen in dogs. I tried to give him and the other cats this food and they refused to eat it and also I was worried that it wasn't good for my other cats. AFTER THE STEROIDS THE CAT WITH THE PROBLEM WENT BACK TO NORMAL AND SO DID THE LAB BLOOD WORK BUT NOW THE CAT STARTED TO SPRAY the drops of blood again but he is eating better than ever but he my be loosing some weight.
Thank you
g
li
ke h
e is s
tarti
ng
to loose we
I
ght
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Your post appears to have been garbled. Can you clarify "spray of blood from his anus" for me? Is there blood in his stool? diarrhea? urine? Which disorder were you told mainly occurs in dogs?
A low platelet count (thrombocytopenia) is an uncommon finding in cats. Platelet counts by machine are often inaccurate and so hand counts are necessary if there's a suspicion of a low platelet count.
Can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Woody. How is everything going?