Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat is trying to vomit but can't

Customer Question

My cat is trying to vomit but can't
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome!
Thank you so much for requesting me to help with your question.
How long has this been happening?
Does your cat spend any time outside?
Does she tend to eat non-food items?
What food does she eat?
What color are her gums?
Is she eating, drinking and eliminating as usual?
Thanks for all your additional information.
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I was hoping to hear right back from you to get some additional information about your kitty, but I will send my answer now and then, if you have any further questions, just click 'reply.'
Typically, when a cat is trying to vomit, but it is unsuccessful, she could be constipated (if you haven't seen any b.m.'s in her litterbox over the past 24 hours), she might have an intestinal obstruction of fur, ingested during self-grooming, mixed with hard, dry stool, and/or she might have ingested a non-food item which is causing a blockage.
Check the inside of her mouth for any stuck item or sores on her tongue, gums, cheeks, roof of the mouth, between or under teeth, etc.
Sometimes, cats develop nasopharyngeal polyps between the nose and throat and this can cause the sensation of needing to vomit. Here is more information:
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/health_information/NasopharyngealPolyps.cfm
It's also possible, since she's spitting up white, fo***** *****quid here and there, that she is nauseated and this may be caused by acid reflux or excess stomach acid. To alleviate nausea and settle her stomach for the moment, you can give her 1/4 tablet of a 10 mg. Pepcid AC. This is an over the counter acid controller available in pharmacies and supermarkets. You can get the generic brand (famotidine) from the store, so it is less expensive). Here is more information:
http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid
Always consult with your vet before giving over the counter medications.
Because she is a senior kitty, it would be a good next step to have her evaluated in person by her vet, to find the cause of her problem, get a definite diagnosis and then, treatment, if needed. See if you can get her in to see the vet, today.
I hope all will be well with your furry girl and please let me know how she's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.
Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to keep in touch with me or ask for any clarification or additional information.
Warmest regards,
Cher