Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a male cat with a complete urinary blockage (3-4 days). We thought he was constipat

Customer Question

I have a male cat with a complete urinary blockage (3-4 days). We thought he was constipated and were in the middle of moving so we didn't get him in until tonight. His condition deteriorated quickly but the Pet ER wants $4,000 to save him. We will get him to his regular Vet first thing in the morning, but I am concerned. What can we do for him tonight, at home, that can aid in his recovery (or at least buy us some hours). We don't want to lose him but $4,000 just doesn't work financially for us. Is there anything we can do for him from now until morning? (charcoal, muscle relaxer, laxative?). Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Greg
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome.My name is***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction. 1. Sorry to hear about your cat's condition, unfortunately there is nothing at all you can hope to do for a cat with a blocked bladder on a home remedy basis. The thing to do is to get a catheter passed as quickly as possible into his urethra to relieve the pressure on the bladder, this is normally done under general anaesthetic. Where the bladder has been blocked for any length of time then the back pressure often damages the kidneys so getting these cats on IV fluids to flush out the kidneys and other supportive measures to lessen any kidney damage is paramount ... The sooner the above measures are carried out the better ... I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hi Gregory,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?