Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat is on Clavamox dental exam. She is vomiting

Customer Question

My cat is on Clavamox for upcoming dental exam. She is vomiting and has stopped eating. What can I do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to be of assistance to you and Lula today.
I'm so sorry she's experiencing this reaction to the antibiotic. These are typical symptoms of Clavamox, so if she must be on an antibiotic prophylactically before her dental exam, call her vet to report her vomiting and lack of eating and ask if the medication can be changed to another one that she will tolerate better.
At her age, it's important that she keeps eating and doesn't run into a problem with her liver, which can happen when a cat refuses to eat, even for a short period of time; in addition, she's losing fluid through the vomiting and may become dehydrated.
Offer her water or water mixed 50/50 with unflavored Pedialyte, to restore her electrolytes and you can also offer her the water from the canned tuna. When she stops vomiting, you can rest her stomach for about six hours and then offer very bland food like plain jarred baby food chicken containing NO onion or garlic. Beechnut Stage 1 chicken and chicken broth makes a good one.
Also, give her 1/4 tablet of a 10mg. Pepcid AC and this will help settle her stomach and quell the nausea. Always consult with your vet before giving over the counter medications. Here is more information:
http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid
I hope all will be well with Lula and she's feeling much better, very soon!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much.
Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to keep in touch with me or ask for any clarification or additional information.
Warmest regards,
Cher