Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat is 22 years old. She did not eat today. Her only medical

Customer Question

My cat is 22 years old. She did not eat today. Her only medical problem is a arthritis and immobility. She has started gasping for air. She is also purring.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you and your kitty today.
I'm so sorry velvet has you worried.
The fact that she has reached the age of 22 is a testament to the great care you're giving her! : )
Her current symptoms of not eating and gasping for air are of great concern. When a cat doesn't eat, even for a short period of time, she risks developing a serious liver condition called hepatic lipidosis. The only treatment is to get her eating again. Purring can be a sign of contentedness, but cats will also purr to 'self-soothe' when they're not feeling well.
The gasping may indicate any number of respiratory or cardiac issues, so the best thing for you to do at this time, is to bring Velvet to an ER vet so she can be evaluated in person, diagnosed and treated.
Right now, there's not much you can do for her at home, unfortunately.
Please try to have her seen asap, tonight, and let me know what the vet tells you and how she's doing. Thanks!
I hope all will be well with your Velvet!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.
Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to keep in touch with me or ask for any clarification or additional information.
Warmest regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Velvet. How is everything going?

Cher