Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

My cat has an intestinal mass 2.5cm which is thought to be

Customer Question

My cat has an intestinal mass 2.5cm which is thought to be feline intestinal lymphoma (probably high grade). Is prednisilone sufficient or more aggressive needed? The vet is concerned once the tumor shrinks with the chemo the intestinal wall will have a gap and leak into the body. What are the side effects of chemo and is this a possibility?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi there! Thanks for your question.I have a couple of questions to understand the situation more clearly:1. When did Felix's mass get diagnosed?2. How was the mass found (e.g. ultrasound, surgery, etc)?3. Has Felix had surgery to remove the mass already?4. How is he doing now?Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just Friday, July 24; 2.5cm intestinal mass via ultrasound and x-ray by two different vets. No surgery to remove the mass. He is taking prednisilone and many supplements to boost his immunity including turmeric and apple cider vinegar. He is eating and is comfortable but skinny but plan to start Vitality Science Cancer and Immune Restoration protocol as soon as I receive it this week. They believe it is large cell intestinal lymphoma......
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Was it biopsied during the ultrasound?
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
I think it would be unlikely that an intestinal tumor (lymphoma or not) would respond to the regimen you listed, unfortunately. Prednisone will help temporarily, probably for 2-3 months, then typically relapse occurs. Unfortunately, the various supplements and natural protocols available/advertised either have no documented efficacy against intestinal tumors (or other types of cancers) or have no published evidence at all behind them. In Felix's situation, it seems that the best thing to do is to remove the tumor surgically and follow up with chemotherapy if necessary, based on the specific type of the tumor, it's grade of severity and the extent of involving (surgical margins). Alternatively, chemotherapy may be done alone, without surgery but I believe it would be less effective, however, I can't be sure not knowing the exact type of tumor or it's extent (grading/staging). In general, once the tumor shrinks with chemotherapy, it should not affect the integrity of the intestinal wall and cause leakage, the tumor will simply shrink because the cancerous cells will die off... There are various chemotherapy protocols and they are variably effective, with different prognostic expectations; side effects of most chemotherapeutic drugs used in cats center around bone marrow suppression and gastrointestinal effects (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea), but doses used are much smaller than in humans (quality of life of pets vs. length of survival regardless of side effects in people) and side effects are less likely/common. Blood counts are monitored to ensure blood cell levels stay up and medication is used to keep nausea at bay; in most cases, chemotherapy is well tolerated by cats...Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions!
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi there! Just checking in on Felix to see how things are going and if you have any additional questions that have popped up.