Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  19 years in Companion Animal Practice and SPCA
2263760

My cat has been vomiting can i give him bactrim

Customer Question

Hi my cat has been vomiting can i give him bactrim
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Good evening, this is Dr. Gabby.No, I would not give a cat Bactrim. In cats it can cause vomiting, anorexia, and a reduction in red and white blood cells. There are lots of causes of vomiting.He could have an underlying issue with his gastrointestinal tract.The easiest thing to do is to treat him for acid reflux. Try 1/4 of a human 10 mg pepcid ac tablet every 12 hours. Make sure you give it at least 30 mins before you give breakfast.Canned food is easier to digest than kibble. If he will eat canned food, gradually change him over to canned food.See if he will eat canned food for sensitive stomach cats.If he does not improve in a few weeks, he needs to have more diagnostics done.He may have food allergies. That means he is allergic to one, or more, of the ingredients in cat food. The way we determine if a cat has food allergies is to put them on a protein, that they have never had, for 2-3 months. Since he has probably already had chicken, lamb, beef, turkey, duck, and fish you will need to find a new protein source. Some examples are rabbit, ostrich, buffalo, or venison. You boil the meat until it is cooked all the way through. Then you can freeze it if you want. A 10 pound cat would get 2 cups a day. You keep him on the one meat source for 2-3 months. If his vomiting stops, then you know he has food allergies. If he still vomits, food allergies are not the issue.He could also have inflammatory bowel disease. That is where the immune system attacks the lining of the intestines. Usually we do not know the cause. To make an official diagnosis, a biopsy is taken of the intestines. But, that is not always an option. You can try treating him with prescription medications that help suppress the out of control immune system. Prednisone and cyclosporine are commonly used for the immune system. Metronidazole is an antibiotic that is also anti-inflammatory for the gastrointestinal tract. That may be used as well.He may also have metabolic disease. Diabetes, Kidney disease, liver disease, and thyroid disease can all cause nausea and vomiting. So, it would be a good idea to have blood work done. It can change over a few days. I know you had it done in may but that was 7 months ago.A gastrointestinal foreign body can also cause chronic vomiting. That means he has eaten something that is now stuck in his gastrointestinal tract. When he eats, that foreign object cause vomiting. It can be diagnosed with x-rays of the stomach and intestines. Sometimes a barium swallow is given and not all foreign bodies show up on plain x-rays. Barium is white chalky material that will stick to a foreign body and make it show up on x-rays. Things like material do not show up on plain x-rays.I hope this helps.If you have additional quesitons, please reply. If this was helpful please rate and accept the answer.Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pickles. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby