Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat had a lump on his chin. The vet lanced it yesterday

Customer Question

Hi...my cat had a lump on his chin. The vet lanced it yesterday and said it was an abscess. Today the lump is large again. I called the vet and he said it could be caused by a tumor. I don't understand this. Can a tumor cause an abscess? I will be bringing the cat back in tomorrow for blood work and possible biopsy.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Sorry to hear that your kitty is having problems. It is possible for a tumor to form an abscess. If a tumor outgrows its blood supply, it can become necrotic and infected. If your vet got a lot of liquid pus out, though, it most likely is an abscess only. The increased swelling could be due to further inflammation, the abscess filling back up with pus or another pocket of pus in the abscess that wasn't seen before. If an abscess has been lanced and is looking worse, a biopsy and culture of the swelling is definitely the next step. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.