Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My 16 yr old cat was given Tramadol 50 mg tabs, I gave him

Customer Question

My 16 yr old cat was given Tramadol 50 mg tabs, I gave him 1/4 of this tablet. He had anxiety. Told my vet and she said to give it 2 times a day instead of 3. His pupils are dilated...I'm throwing this Tremadol out the window!! How long before he's back to normal? Thx.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear your cat is having a paradoxical reaction to the Tramadol. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. This is actually not uncommon in cats and many vets do not use this often for this reason. How long it will last really depends on the cat. I would expect him ot be back to normal in 6-8 hours but it can take up to 12 hours with some cats. I would just keep him in a safe quiet place until the drug wears off. If this was being used to treat pain I would call your vet and ask for a different medication. If it was being used for anxiety ( I am not sure if that was the reason for using it or if you meant that it caused anxiety) then this would not be a drug normally used to treat anxiety. I hope this helps and he feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. Once our conversation has ended please take a few minutes to provide a rating so that Justanswer compensates me for assisting you today.Candy