Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I am looking on cat food 15 year old

Customer Question

I am looking for information on cat food for a 15 year old in the early stages of kidney disease
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that Skye was diagnosed as being i the early stages of kidney disease. Weurva is a food that we will sometimes use for cats in renal failure if they refuse to eat prescription diets.Has your vet suggested a prescription diet? If not I would discuss it with them, if so then I would follow that advice. Several different companies make prescription diets for renal failure and they will often allow vets to give a sample to see which one Skye likes best. I would also suggest starting Omega fatty acids which are a great supplement for kidney support. Renal failure is unfortunately not curable but it is manageable. Some things that you may have to consider later down the line are* Subq fluids at home- Many cats in renal failure require fluids at home several times per week. This makes an mazing difference in how these cats feel and will often maintain them for several months and in some cases years.* Pepcid AC. Renal failure results in chronic nausea and this can make them not want to eat. In many cases 1/4 of a 10mg Pepcid AC will help with this and get them eating.* Azodyl- This is a supplement that reduces azotemia which impairs the kidneys ability to filter and eliminate waste . This can be purchased online and no prescription is needed. Here is a great video from Cornell university on kidney disease and it management. It is 25 minutes long but well worth watching. LINK I hope this helps. If you have questions about a specific food please let me know and I will be more then happy to continue.Candy