Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My cat has been antibiotics UTI since July 7. He hasn't us

Customer Question

my cat has been antibiotics for a UTI since July 7. He hasn't used his litterbox for 2 days now and now yesterday started throwing up after he eats. Still nothing in the letterbox. He has 7 more days of Simplicef to take.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Po. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Is he still eating and drinking? Does he keep down anything he eats or drinks? Is there no feces and no urine in the litter box? I am sorry your requested expert was not available when you posted your question. I hope I can be of help. I am very worried if he is not able to keep food and water down, and if he has not passed any urine in 2 days. My first concern is that he could be "blocked", have a blockage in his urethra (passage from the bladder to the penis), and if that is the case he needs immediate medical attention. If he is blocked, he needs a catheterization so the urine can get out of his bladder, or he will die. This is a medical emergency. He may not be blocked, but I can't tell for sure without being able to see and examine him. If he is not blocked, he still may be dehydrated if he is vomiting and not urinating. You can check him for dehydration by gently pinching skin over his shoulders and letting it go. It should go back into position in one second or less; if it takes longer he is dehydrated and in need of supplemental fluids. If he is vomiting, you can't give supplemental fluids by mouth; we give them by injection under his skin or by IV.